Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Taking Insensitivity to a New Level


These cartoons from the Iranian press show just how bad you can get.

Yes, I believe that newspapers there or elsewhere have the right to publish this.

As I have said before, I believe that freedom of expression does give a person the right to be a jerk just so long as the expression does not extend to violence and the curtailing of others' rights.

But I would ask this of:
  • all the defenders of Islamic cartoon violence,
  • those who believe censorship of the cartoons is right and,
  • all the gutless American politicians and media weenies who would not run or link to the Islamic cartoons,
Where is your outrage over anti-Semitic cartoons? Or anti-Christian cartoons?

I say your silence demonstrates your profound hypocrisy.

And could your silence also come from the fact that you fear violence from offended Islamic extremists, but not Jews or Christians?

I would say that, yes, you are hypocrites and cowards and should take a long, hard look at the following:

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home